Tomatoes are known for its several health benefits- they can help reduce blood pressure, improve eyesight, boost stomach health, protect against cancer and prevent urinary tract infections.
Besides the health benefits, you can use this common ingredient from your kitchen to improve your looks.
Tomatoes are abundant of beauty-enhancing properties. When you include them in your beauty routine, tomatoes can do wonders for your skin and hair.
Let us start the top 6 beauty benefits of tomatoes:
1. Clear Blemishes
Discoloration or dark spots can occur anywhere on the body. Now, using tomatoes, you can easily clear blemishes at home.
Tomatoes are very effective at treating blemishes caused by clogged pores due to its astringent and skin-lightening properties.
1. Mix 2 teaspoons of tomato pulp with 1 teaspoon each of oatmeal and yogurt.
2. Gently rub it on the affected area and leave it on for 20 minutes.
3. Rinse it off with cool water.
4. Repeat once or twice a week.
2. Treats Acne
Salicylic acid is effective at treating acne, which you can find in tomatoes. It helps to dry up acne fast.
Tomatoes’ astringent nature also helps absorb the excess oil from your skin, which helps lessen the acne. As an added bonus, tomatoes have natural skin-lightening properties that can help lighten acne scars.
- Mash a ripe tomato and spread its pulp on the affected area. Leave it on your skin for 20 to 30 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. Repeat 2 or 3 times a day.
- Alternatively, mix equal amounts of tomato juice and cucumber juice. Dip a cotton ball in this solution and apply it on the affected skin. Allow it to dry on its own, then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Repeat twice daily. This remedy is particularly good for fading acne scars.
3. Lightens Skin Tone
Tomatoes are very helpful in lightening skin tone as they are considered a natural bleaching agent.
In addition, their vitamin C content aids collagen production and protects cells from free-radical damage. This is important for glowing and beautiful skin.
- Prepare a face mask with 3 tablespoons of tomato juice, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of milk cream. Apply this mask on your face and neck area. Let it sit for 15 minutes, then wash it off with cool water. Use it twice a week.
- Alternatively, mix together 2 tablespoons of tomato juice and 2 tablespoons of honey. Apply the mixture on your face. Wait 10 minutes, then rinse your face with cool water. Use it daily or every other day.
4. Controls Excess Oil Secretion
Who wants oily skin? With tomatoes, you can manage the excess secretion of oil on your face.
Tomatoes contain natural oil-reducing and astringent properties that help remove the excess oil from your skin. Apart from eliminating excess oil, tomatoes are effective in combating acne and fading blemishes.
- Cut a tomato in half and rub the tomato halves on your skin. Let the juice sit on your skin for at least 15 minutes. Rinse it off with cool or cold water, then pat dry your skin with a soft towel. Do it once daily.
- Alternatively, thoroughly mix the juice of 2 tomatoes and 3 to 4 tablespoons of cucumber juice. Apply this mixture on your face and rub it around in circular motions. Wait 10 minutes, then rinse it off with cool water. Repeat once daily before going to bed.
5. Removes Dead Skin Cells
The glow of your skin can be taken away if there’s a lot of dead skin cells that accumulate on your skin’s surface. Dead skin cells can be easily removed with tomatoes, making your skin radiant and clear.
Plus, the nourishing properties of vitamin A, C and K will enhance your skin.
Use either of the following homemade exfoliating scrubs once a week.
- Cut a fresh tomato into 2 pieces. Sprinkle powdered sugar on one of the pieces and rub it on your face using circular motions.
- Another option is to thoroughly mix 1 tablespoon of tomato juice, 2 tablespoons of honey and 1 tablespoon of bentonite clay or any other clay powder in a bowl. Spread it on your skin using a spatula or a makeup brush. Allow the mask to sit on your skin for 15 to 20 minutes. Then, rub it off with wet fingers.
6. Supports Hair Health
Want a better-looking hair? Well, tomatoes are the answer. The vitamins in tomatoes will help in strengthening hair and promoting hair growth.
They help balance the pH level in your hair, which is important for healthy hair. They can even add a natural shine to dull, lifeless locks.
- Blend 2 tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and 2 teaspoons of aloe vera gel into a fine paste. Apply this paste on your scalp. Wear a shower cap for 30 minutes, then wash your hair as usual. Use this hair mask once a week.
- Another option is to mix the paste of 1 tomato with 2 tablespoons of castor oil. Apply it on your scalp. Leave it on for 30 to 45 minutes, then wash your hair with mild shampoo. Use this hair treatment once a week.
pixabay.com – featured image